Pouring liquid oxygen onto a neodymium magnet causes the droplets to become trapped and start “dancing”.


Pouring liquid oxygen onto a neodymium magnet causes the droplets to become trapped and start “dancing”.


Recommended For You

About the Author: livescience

17 Comments

  1. Going to put my hand up to admit that it took me a little while to realise the O2 was being poured onto a transparent surface that the magnet is under.

    Hooo boy.

  2. (edit, turns out that there is a plastic panel on top of the magnet. Still doesn’t make it less cool looking though)

    [Much longer source video](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7BsZFz5nBM) courtesy of The Action Lab.

    Its caused by a combination of a phenomenon known as [Paramagnetism](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramagnetism) and [the good old Leidenfrost effect](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidenfrost_effect). Not qualified to explain how it works, but thought he did it pretty well in the video.

  3. can you drown in liquid oxygen? assume the cold doesn’t frostbite your entire body immediately…

  4. Ok but can we do this with literally any other paramagnetic fluid instead of oxygen?

    Liquid oxygen is stupid dangerous. You do not want to be near it.

  5. So would anyone know what happens if you drink oxygen? Just feels like you took a big breath?

  6. Never ceases to amaze me how elements in states you don’t normally consider do weird shit with other random shit. Like “haha what goofy things will this liquid oxygen do this time?”

  7. If one were to injest liquid oxygen, would it expand so fast because of body temp? Or would there be a toxicity threshold crossed? Just curious.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *